Wednesday 28 November 2012

CITIZENS OF HUMANITY: BEHIND THE SCENES IN L.A!


Blue jean baby: a stack of Citizens of Humanity jeans snapped at the L.A. factory.

As I've mentioned before I'm big into jeans, so you can imagine by excitement when cool Californian denim brand  Citizens of Humanity invited me, along with a group of other European journalists, to travel all the way to L.A. for a once in a lifetime, behind the scenes trip into their world of denim.
In case you don't already know: Citizens of Humanity was founded by Jerome Dahan (previously of Seven for All Mankind fame) just a decade ago, in which time he's created a world renowned denim label worn by everyone from Kate Moss to Rihanna, which now manufactures over 1 million pairs of jeans per year! 
Around fives ago, Jerome joined forces with denim godfather Adriano Goldschmied, who working specifically on product development has a hand in creating Citizens of Humanity as we know them today. 
Together, Adriano and Jerome took us through the entire jeans making process: from mood boards, swatches and initial ideas in the design studio, to the finished article, quality checked and ready for shipping to the suppliers.
We visited the factories and denim laundry, where Adriano gave us an insight into the Citizens of Humanity product development process, my highlight of which was watching a pair of jeans be distressed and printed on via a computer controlled laser machine (I am a self-confessed denim geek after all).
And when we weren't swatting up on jeans, the Citizens of Humanity team showed us their favourite L.A. hot spots from delicious restaurants, to an afternoon surfing with pro. surfers on Malibu beach! We even got to cheer in Obama's reelection at a trashy bar on Sunset Boulevard (my choice entirely!)

THE TRIP IN PICTURES... 

The trip in pictures, snapped on my iPhone. 

WHAT I WORE...

For a day at the factories I wore: MiH Jeans star print shirt and shorts with Jimmy Choo sandals, a clutch by Whistles,
and Elizabeth & James sunnies.

For dinner at Mozza I wore: a printed dress by Olivia Rubin with Christian Louboutin sandals and a clutch by
Lulu Guinness.

For breakfast at Jerome Dahan's house followed by a trip to Malibu beach I wore: a butterfly print top from Zara,
shorts and cardigans both Gap, sandals by Tibi, with Elizabeth & James sunglasses.

For supper at Mr. Chow, I wore: metallic top and cardie from Marks & Spencer, skirt by Tucker, sandals
by Topshop and Whistles snake print clutch. 

On the last day, me wearing: my new Citizens of Humanity 'Dylan' jeans(!) with a Rodarte t-shirt, Chanel bag,
Keds x Opening Ceremony leopard print trainers (and sunnies as before).


To see and shop Citizens of Humanity’s current collection click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment